With summer in full swing and temperatures reaching an all-time high we thought we’d share some fun things to do in the area this summer! With such a great selection of unique, independent businesses in the area, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
What’s on in August?
August is a busy month in Kings Heath, with events happening all summer long!
There’s lots going on in and around the area, from Pairc Festival at the end of the month, bringing a huge celebration of Irish music and culture, to the return of the Moseley Record Fair at the Kingsway!
There seems to be a real vintage theme running throughout August with the return of the All Saints Classic Car Show over the August bank holiday Monday – head down if you’re a car enthusiast and love all things classic. There will also be live music from noon from the Frenzies!
Free Family Events
We’re fortunate to have a great community of people who lend their time and passion to host free events for the public to enjoy. Here are just a few of our top picks for August!
If arts and crafts are your thing, you might want to visit Art Rooms Kings Heath. Located on Kings Heath high street, the Art Rooms is a community art space for art, workshops, poetry, storytelling, and everything creative! They currently have a colourful, quirky exhibition on until the end of the month – find out more here.
Another great place for the kids this summer is Kings Heath Library, and not just to pick up a new book… They recently announced they will be hosting a free 1 hour interactive science session, Jelly Seaweed, for children aged 6-10 and their families. Accompanied by scientists from the University of Birmingham to educate you on the chemistry inside seaweed! Read more here.
As well as interactive, educational sessions they also host free Craft sessions on Friday afternoons – a chance for your little one to explore and be creative this summer.
Where to Eat?
We’re spoiled for choice with some of the tastiest places to eat in town. We have a few suggestions, all family-friendly:
- Gorilla Coffee Cafe – this is traditionally a cafe for the biking community in Kings Heath but the atmosphere here is great to grab some breakfast on a Saturday morning. With a small play area and a big chalkboard to keep the kids entertained, as well as the staff being super friendly and great with children – definitely a must to visit!
- Burger & Sauce – as you may have seen, this place was recently named the regional winner of the Uber Eats Restaurant of the Year Award 2022! It would be rude to ignore this place! (the kids will love it)
- The Station Pub – Situated right at the beginning of Kings Heath High Street, this place has a strong focus on food, serving a warming roast on a Sunday – they are also dog friendly so you can take the whole family down for that Sunday Roast!
- Ever So Sweet – We mustn’t forget about those with a sweet tooth! Ever So Sweet does amazing desserts and they currently have an offer on – any 2 waffles for £7.99!
- The MilkCake Man – Located in Kings Court The MilkCake Man will be the answer to all your sweet cravings. Specialising in soft-serve ice cream and milkcakes, it’s one to tick off the list.
Tips on keeping the little ones entertained:
For the Pampered:
Summer should be all about spending quality time with friends and loved ones when you can, making the most of the weather and the summer holidays. Why not have a girly pamper day at the HeadShed Hair & Beauty Boutique – they offer everything from hair treatments to manicures.
For the Sporty:
Have you been inspired by the Commonwealth Games? Why not head to Maurice Robinson Sports and get geared up for a game of tennis in the park!
For the Adventurous:
Let’s not forget about the beautiful outdoor spaces we have to offer, with the sun making a regular appearance and the temperatures on the rise, visiting Kings Heath Park or the beautiful Highbury Park with the family in the sun could be just what you need.
For the Performers:
If performing is something your kids love, you have to check out Class Act Theatrix, they are running summer workshops throughout August! If your little one is passionate about drama, then head to the website now to book. They include Musical Theatre, Top of the Pops, and Disney-inspired workshops.