Kings Heath businesses overwhelmingly vote ‘YES’ for BID to continue for another five years
Posted on Fri, 16 Feb 2018
Kings Heath businesses have voted ‘Yes’ to a third term as a Business Improvement District (BID) with a larger majority in favour compared to previous ballots.
Kings Heath business voted 68% in favour based on number of businesses, and 77% in favour based on rateable value. Turnout was 41%. This is a large increase in rateable values compared to the last vote in 2012, where the result was 66% in favour based on number of businesses and only 52% in favour based on rateable value. Turnout then was 42%.
Brett Rehling, Chair of the BID said:
‘this is brilliant news for Kings Heath and I am delighted that businesses of all sizes, types and located across the town have recognised the worth of the BID. It is encouraging that businesses want to work together and contribute funds to meeting our vision of Kings Heath as a thriving destination to live, work, shop and eat. Thanks to everyone who voted.’
The new five-year business plan will deliver projects and services under four key themes; Clean, Green and Safe, Promoted & Marketed, Vibrant & Accessible and Supporting your Business.
Proposed projects for Kings Heath BID to deliver in the next five years include:
• doubling the hours the current Safety and Security Warden works in catching shoplifters and any other anti-social behaviour from three days to six days. Continuation of the successful ShopWatch scheme, which identifies known shoplifters operating the area to businesses
• The Kings Heath Street Festival – a return of this annual late summer festival with a mixture of live music delivered by our various music venues and a market showcasing the businesses of Kings Heath and attracting an estimated 20,000 visitors
• Free Training courses – a range of courses for Kings Heath businesses delivered in the town to cover a variety of topics including basic food hygiene, first aid and fire awareness, dressing a shop window and IT skills
• Cleaning operative – employment of a cleaning operative for five days a week, who will each day do: a quick litter pick; remove and wash away any substances from the pavement; remove any graffiti; remove any fly-posters or stickers and regularly wash down street furniture
• Christmas Lighting – Stunning festive lights, switch on celebrations, Father Christmas grotto and Sunday Christmas themed Market to raise the profile of Kings Heath as the place to get those last-minute gifts
• New Events – ideas include Kings Heath Literature Festival, Sunday Specialist Markets, Cooking Competitions with different themes and the Easter Egg Hunt. A wide range of levy payer’s venues in Kings Heath will be used for these events and each event will be geared to attract a different target audience
Kings Heath BID is a not for profit company limited by guarantee which started the BID in April 2008 and is overseen by a Board of Directors who are business people from within the town.
As well as gearing up for a new five-year term, Kings Heath BID will be encouraging new Directors to join the Board and will be inviting all members to an AGM in the coming months.
For more information, contact Martin Mullaney on 0121 444 5166 or email email@example.com