What has Kings Heath BID achieved so far?
Over the last two five year terms, Kings Heath BID has brought about a wide range of positive changes and vital improvements to the area, led by a board of local business owners and the Town Centre Manager.
Approximately £120,000 a year, raised from the annual BID business levy, has been pumped back into the area to make Kings Heath a more enjoyable and safer place to live, work and visit.
From day to day improvements such as employing street wardens to reduce retail crime rates and implementing clean and green schemes, to curating regular events, such as the Kings Heath Street Festival, to bring the community together and increase footfall in the area.
Local community events and initiatives programmed by the Kings Heath BID:
- The Kings Heath Street Festival - One of the highlights on the community calendar, draws thousands from across Birmingham to discover and celebrate everything that Kings Heath has to offer. The day includes two stages of live music curated by local venues, street food cooked by Kings Heath’s finest restaurants, market stalls showcasing our independent retailers, and plenty of children’s entertainment - all for free!
- The Great Kings Heath Easter Egg Hunt - A free activity for the family over the Easter half term. The Great Kings Heath Easter Eggs are created by local schools and children in the area, the Hunt is a hugely popular activity which increases footfall and encourages families to get out there and discover new businesses over Easter.
- Christmas Lights - Kings Heath BID sponsors the stunning festive lights which decorate retail areas during the Christmas period, bring festive cheer to the town and create a positive shopping experience for both customers and businesses, working with local organisations to coordinate switch-on celebrations.
- Capture Kings Heath - a seasonal photography competition coordinated by Kings Heath BID, which encourages budding photographers to explore Kings Heath and submit their best shots of the area to be in with a chance of winning prizes donated by the BID and local businesses.
- The Kings Heath BID was a proud sponsor of The BIG HOOT 2015! The Big Hoot captured the imagination of everyone in Birmingham and beyond in the summer of 2016, with hundreds of thousands of people taking to the streets with their Big Hoot Trail maps to explore the colourful invasion of individually designed owls. Kings Heath were lucky enough to secure three owls for the area, which attracted many to the area to take part in the trail.
Support the community and offer services:
- Clean and Green - Kings Heath BID provide services which uphold and maintain high levels of cleanliness in all public areas, including physical improvements such as floral planters and the commission of public murals like the iconic ‘Welcome to Kings Heath’ mural.
- Safety and Security - the employment of a security warden working daily to make Kings Heath a safer place to live, work, and shop, by liaising with businesses regularly, providing a strong presence on our High Street, and cracking down on issues such as antisocial behaviour, shoplifters and beggars, as well as offering the latest in business security opportunities.
- PR and Marketing - an external PR and Marketing agency market Kings Heath as a destination, and develop the Enjoy Kings Heath brand both on and offline, generate press coverage for BID businesses, and create and execute innovative marketing campaigns throughout the year.
- Enjoy Kings Heath website - a newly launched digital hub for residents, visitors, businesses and employees alike, including an extensive business listing directory, what’s on calendar, and blog, giving BID businesses the opportunities to share their events, information and news to consumers at the click of a button.
- Enjoy Kings Heath magazine - Over 15,000 copies of the first edition of the free bi-annual Enjoy Kings Heath magazine were distributed to local residents, businesses and community centres in November 2016. The second edition of the Enjoy Kings Heath magazine, which will feature all of the latest local news, events and promotions, will be published in Spring/Summer 2017.